Chewy chocolate cookies with a layer of creamy mint chocolate frosting — these Andes Mint Cookies are a delicious and decadent treat that can be made in minutes with a cake mix!
Chocolate Andes Mint Cookies
December is here and it is finally cold in Texas! After all summer of 100 degree days, I find the cold to be refreshing. Kind of like these Andes cookies!
These cake mix chocolate mint cookies remind me of Thin Mint cookies, but with an extra creamy frosting! And since Thin Mints never last long in our house, it’s great to have an easy recipe to get that fix in a jiffy!
We started with an easy chocolate cake mix cookie recipe and stirred in a bunch of Andes mint baking chips. Then, as if that wasn’t decadent enough, we put a whole Andes chocolate mint on top of each cookie before we baked them.
The Andes mints melt down so that some of them soaks into the cookies themselves, and they form a layer of rich chocolate mint frosting on top. It’s ooey-gooey and SO amazing!
Related: This isn’t the first time we’ve made cookies with candy bars! Check out our Twix Cookies too!
What You Need to Make Andes Mint Cookies
Affiliate links provided for your convenience in re-creating this recipe; read disclosure policy here.
- Chocolate cake mix — Any type of chocolate cake mix should work
- Andes Mint Baking Chips — If you can’t get your hands on these, you can use chocolate chips instead. You’ll still get that mint flavor from the Andes candy on top of each cookie.
- Vegetable oil — Or your favorite cooking/baking oil
- Andes Creme de Menthe Thins — Unwrapped (you’ll need one per cookie)
Kitchen Tools Used
Why Bake Cookies with Cake Mix?
We love making cake mix cookies because they’re easy! All you need is cake mix, eggs, and oil…and then of course any mix ins.
The resulting cookies are extra thick and chewy — just the way I like them!
How to Make Chocolate Mint Cookies with Cake Mix
Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
In a large mixing bowl combine the cake mix, vegetable oil, and eggs. Beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes until dough forms. There should be no dry patches.
Add the mint baking chips and mix just until they are evenly distributed.
Form the dough into balls that are about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in size. A cookie scoop makes this step a breeze and creates the perfect size cookie balls!
Place them on your prepared baking sheet, about 3 inches apart.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, until cookies have puffed up. You’ll also notice that they start to “crack” — that’s perfect!
Remove the cookies from the oven and immediately place one unwrapped Andes mint on top of each cookie.
The hot cookies will heat up the chocolates and they’ll start to melt. Give them a few minutes to fully soften, then use a butter knife or offset spatula to spread the melted chocolate on top of the cookies.
Now let the cookies cool so your “frosting” can set.
Related: Try our 2-ingredient Ritz Cracker Thin Mint Cookies too!
How to Store Your Cookies
These chocolate mint cake mix cookies will last 3-4 days at room temperature, if kept in a sealed container. I recommend placing a sheet of parchment paper between layers if you stack them.
You can also keep them in the freezer, in a freezer storage container or ziplock bag. If stored properly, they can last up to a month frozen.
When you’re ready to enjoy your frozen cookies, allow them to defrost on their own to room temperature. I think they taste fantastic a little cold!
More of our favorite cookie recipes:
- Grinch Snowball Cookies
- Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
- Peanut Butter Texas Sheet Cake Cookies
- Carrot Cake Cookies
- Pink Strawberry Champagne Cookies
- Orange Juice Cookies
- Pioneer Woman Cowboy Cookies
- Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Texas Sheet Cake Cookies
- Root Beer Float Cookies
- Amish Sugar Cookies
Andes Mint Cookies Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you liked this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear what you think in the comments below.
Chocolate Andes Mint Cookies with Cake Mix
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup Andes mint baking chips
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 20 Andes chocolate mint thins
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, and oil and mix until dough forms.
- Stir in Andes mint pieces.
- Portion out balls of dough that are 1 1/2 inch to 2 inches in size.
- Place cookie balls on baking sheet, about 2-3" apart.
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes, until cookies puff up and cracks form in the surface.
- Remove from oven and immediately place one unwrapped Andes chocolate mint on top of each cookie.
- Wait a couple minutes so that the hot cookies start to melt the chocolates. Use an offset spatula or butter knife to spread the chocolate on top of the cookies.
- Allow cookies to cool so chocolate sets.
Pin our chocolate mint cookies recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: