This boozy root beer float recipe is super easy and delish. Just combine your favorite root beer with rum and vanilla ice cream for a tasty dessert drink!
Spiked Root Beer Floats
If you love root beer floats, then you’ve got to try this adult version of the soda shop classic! We blended spiced rum, vanilla ice cream, and flavorful root beer to create a simple cocktail that also doubles as a dessert!
These boozy root beer floats are a decadent dessert and a refreshing drink, combined into one awesomely easy recipe! Whether it’s cooling off on a hot summer day or creating a fun after dinner drink, this sweet treat fits the bill!
The best part, there are only 3 simple ingredients and you can’t mess up this recipe!
And of course, it’s easy to leave out the booze and make a kid-friendly version too! That way the whole family can have a special drink.
Is it a drink? Is it a dessert? Either way, these decadent root beer float cocktails are a real treat!
Affiliate links provided for your convenience in re-creating this recipe; read disclosure policy here.
- 2oz Spiced Rum (such as Captain Morgan)
- 2oz Root Beer (any kind of root beer will do)
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Ice Cream
Amounts are per serving. Recipe is intended for readers 21+; please enjoy responsibly!
Kitchen Tools Used
- Tall glass or large mug — I recommend using a clear beer mug or glass so you can see the creaminess of this drink!
- Ice cream scoop
Only 3 ingredients and 3 simple steps!
- Pour one shot (1.5 – 2 ounces) of spiced rum into the bottom of a tall glass.
- Place ice cream in the the glass. We used one scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Pour root beer to fill the rest of the glass. Pour slowly so the foam doesn’t overflow the top of the glass!
Best enjoyed immediately.
- For a garnish, a maraschino cherry on top would be delightful! We also used colorful striped paper straws to get the full soda shot look.
- Chill your glassware while your gather the rest of your ingredients. A chilled glass will keep your root beer ice cream floats colder longer.
- If you want to try to experiment with flavors, you can swap out the ice cream! Make sure that there are not mix-ins like nuts, etc. in the ice cream though.
- We used Captain Morgans for this recipe, but you could substitute any brand of spiced rum or dark rum. If rum is not your thing, you could also try this recipe with vanilla vodka, or even bourbon.
More Root Beer Recipes To Try:
Adult Root Beer Float Recipe (Printable Recipe Card)
If you tried this recipe and liked it, please rate it!
Boozy Root Beer Floats
- Large Glass or Mug
- Ice Cream Scoop
- 2 oz Spiced Rum Such as Captain Morgan
- 2 oz Root Beer
- 1 scoop Vanilla Ice Cream
- Pour spiced rum into the glass.
- Add one scoop of ice cream.
- Top with root beer.
Pin our Boozy Root Beer Float Recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: