These Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies are the perfect dessert for peanut butter lovers – and you’ll never guess the secret ingredient that gives them an extra kick!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
Those are two of my favorite things in the entire world!!
If you’ve ever browsed my dessert recipes index, then you’ve probably seen that I have more than a few that feature this glorious combination, both healthy and not-so-healthy (wink, wink!)
But I can’t believe it took me so long to make chocolate peanut butter brownies!! What was I thinking?!
I love brownies…especially thick, fudge-y brownies with lots of extra chocolate flavor. And adding peanut butter…ALL the yes to that!!
So even though it took a few years to make it happen, I finally have a crave-worthy chocolate peanut butter brownies recipe to share with you!
And I just know that you’re going to love it too!
Baking with Espresso Powder – Explained
This recipe was originally named “espresso brownies,” but I decided to change the name because they don’t actually taste like coffee.
So why add espresso powder to brownie mix at all?
Adding espresso or coffee while baking is a little trick that brings out BIG chocolate flavor. Adding coffee powder to cake mix is a sneaky (but delicious) way that pro bakers enhance chocolate flavor in their desserts.
You’ve got to taste it to believe it!
Espresso Brownies Ingredients
For your convenience, I’ve provided shop-able ad links to some of the ingredients and kitchen supplies used to make our chocolate peanut butter brownies; read our disclosure policy here.
- Boxed brownie mix
- Vegetable oil
- Espresso powder
- Peanut butter chips
- Coarse salt
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
A free printable copy of the ingredients list with full amounts is available at the bottom of the post.
Kitchen Supplies Used
How to Make Chocolate and Peanut Butter Brownies
A free printable copy of the full recipe is below the prep tips.
While oven preheats, prepare an 8×8-baking pan with non-stick baking spray.
TIP: Lining the pan with foil and spraying the foil will allow for easy removal.
Combine oil, water, egg and espresso powder in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the brownie mix until it’s well combined. Gently stir in ¾ cup of the peanut butter chips.
Pour the batter into baking pan. Scatter the remaining peanut butter chips on top and finish with a sprinkle of sea salt.
Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting.
To make a chocolate drizzle:
Using a microwave safe bowl, heat chocolate chips in 20 second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Use a spoon or fork to drizzle melted chocolate on top of your chocolate peanut butter brownies.
Lastly, try not to eat the whole pan!
Oh wait, that’s just me…
Grab a free printable copy of our Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie Recipe
If you like this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
"Secret Ingredient" Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- 1 Box Regular Size Brownie Mix 15-17 oz.
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 2 tbsp Espresso Coffee Powder
- 1 Cup Peanut Butter Chips
- 1/4 tsp Coarse Salt
- 1/4 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare an 8×8-baking pan with non-stick spray or foil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil, water, egg and espresso powder. Stir in the brownie mix until it’s well combined. Gently stir in ¾ cup of the peanut butter chips.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan. Top the batter with the remaining peanut butter chips and sprinkle the salt on top.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave for 10 seconds, adding 5 seconds at a time until the desired consistency is reached. Using a fork, drizzle the chocolate over the top of the brownies.
- Cut & enjoy!
Pin this Espresso Peanut Butter Brownies Recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: