These peanut butter cup stuffed cupcakes have Reese’s cups baked right into them! Smooth creamy peanut butter surrounded by rich chocolate cake and topped with chocolate frosting — they’re a decadent treat! The best part is they’re super easy to make with our shortcut recipe!
Reese’s Surprise Cupcakes
I love peanut butter cups. I also love cupcakes. So it goes without saying that if you put the two together you have one of my absolute favorite treats!
These surprise cupcakes are simple and delicious — a fun twist on the classic chocolate cupcake!
This recipe is about as easy as it gets, since you simply use cake mix and pre-made frosting — though you could make them from scratch if you have a go-to recipe!
This is one of the first recipes we ever published on my blog — you can probably tell by the photos! However, it’s is still one of my favorite easy cupcake recipes and you don’t need fancy photos to know that chocolate and peanut butter taste amazing together!
For your convenience, I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products used to make this Reese’s Cupcakes recipe. Disclosure policy available here.
Reese’s Cupcakes Ingredients
- 1 box Devil’s Food (chocolate) cake mix
- 1 can chocolate frosting
- 1 bag Reese’s miniature peanut butter cups
Kitchen Supplies Used
- Muffin tin
- Cupcake liners
- Stand mixer — You can also use an electric hand mixer if that’s what you have at home. But if you’ve been eyeing a gorgeous KitchenAid mixer, check out the refurbished options! We bought ours refurbished and saved a ton of money!
- Frosting decorating bag — We love these reusable silicone piping bags because you can wash and use them over and over again. A star tip makes those gorgeous icing swirls that you see at fancy bakeries.
**TIP: Substitute real butter for the oil called for on the cake box for extra richness that tastes like you made it from scratch!
How to Make Peanut Butter Stuffed Cupcakes
Prepare chocolate cake mix according to instructions on box. We used Devil’s Food Cake, but you can use any chocolate cake mix. Fill cupcake liners halfway with batter.
Place one peanut butter cup in the middle of each and press the candy gently down into the batter so that the top peanut butter cup is below the surface of the cupcake pan.
Divide remaining batter evenly to fill up the rest of the cupcake liners, covering the peanut butter cups. Bake according to instructions on the box.
Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
Can I Use Full-Sized Peanut Butter Cups?
Sure! We’ve actually done both and they turn out fantastic either way!
When you use full-sized Reese’s cups, some of the peanut butter may peek out the sides of the cupcakes after baking, but that’s ok!
Can I Bake the Cupcakes from Scratch?
Of course! We used box cake mix to save time — it’s one of our favorite baking shortcuts, especially if we’re taking treats to a party and are in a hurry!
These Kit Cat Candy Bar Cupcakes start with a from-scratch chocolate cupcake recipe if you’d like to give that a try!
You can also use from-scratch chocolate buttercream frosting instead of store-bought or even homemade peanut butter icing to switch it up!
The main point of this recipe when I first wrote it was to make it super easy for people like me who are not expert bakers. But like any recipe, you can always make it fancier or give it your own special touch!
More of our favorite cupcake recipes:
- Apple Pie Cupcakes
- Easy Piñata Cupcakes
- S’Mores Cookie Cupcakes
- PEEPS Bunny Cupcakes
- Pink Champagne Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
- Easy Mermaid Cupcakes
- Rudolph Cupcakes
- Jack Skellington Pull Apart Cupcakes
- Red White and Blue Swirl Cupcakes
Peanut Butter Cup Filled Cupcakes Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you made this recipe, please rate it! We’d love to hear what you think!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Stuffed Cupcakes
- 1 box chocolate cake mix plus ingredients on box
- 1 can chocolate frosting
- 12 peanut butter cups
- Prepare chocolate cake mix according to instructions on box. Fill cupcake liners halfway with batter.
- Place one peanut butter cup in the middle of each cupcake and press slightly into the batter so that the top peanut butter cup is below the surface of the cupcake pan.
- Cover with remaining cupcake batter so that you can no longer see the peanut butter cups.
- Bake according to directions on box.
- Allow to cool before frosting.
Pin our Reese’s Cupcakes on Pinterest:
You might also like: