These Reese’s stuffed cupcakes are a peanut butter lover’s dream: rich chocolate cupcakes topped with fudge icing and a Reese’s peanut butter cup inside!
Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
These peanut butter cup stuffed cupcakes have Reese’s cups baked right into them! Smooth creamy peanut butter surrounded by rich chocolate cake and topped with chocolate frosting — they’re a decadent treat! The best part is they’re super easy to make with our shortcut recipe!
I love peanut butter cups. I also love cupcakes. So it goes without saying that if you put the two together you have one of my absolute favorite treats!
These surprise cupcakes are simple and delicious — a fun twist on the classic chocolate cupcake!
This recipe is about as easy as it gets, since you simply use cake mix and pre-made frosting — though you could make them from scratch if you have a go-to recipe!
This is one of the first recipes we ever published on my blog, however, it’s is still one of my favorite easy cupcake recipes!
Related: Love Reese’s Cups? Try our Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge too! It’s loaded with Reese’s peanut butter cup pieces!
For your convenience, I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products used to make this Reese’s Cupcakes recipe. Disclosure policy available here.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it is such a short ingredient list! Couldn’t be easier!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients on listed in box directions: egg, oil, etc.)
- 1 can chocolate frosting or peanut butter frosting
- 1 bag mini Reese’s peanut butter cups
Kitchen Supplies Used
- Muffin tin
- Cupcake liners
- Stand mixer or electric mixer and large mixing bowl
- Frosting decorating bag — We love these reusable silicone piping bags because you can wash and use them over and over again. A star tip makes those gorgeous icing swirls that you see at fancy bakeries.
TIP: Substitute melted butter for the vegetable oil called for on the cake box for extra richness that tastes like you made it from scratch!
- Prepare chocolate cake mix according to instructions on box (we used a stand mixer on medium-high speed). Fill each muffin cup about halfway full of cupcake batter.
- Place one peanut butter cup in the middle of each and press the candy gently down into the batter so that the top peanut butter cup is below the surface of the cupcake pan.
- Divide remaining batter evenly to fill up the rest of the cupcake liners, covering the peanut butter cups. Bake according to instructions on the box.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
We used chocolate frosting and then placed chopped peanut butter cups on top. Easy, pretty, and delicious!
You could also use peanut butter buttercream for the frosting for an extra-peanut buttery dessert!
We kept it simple and used a butter knife to spread the frosting on top of the cupcakes. If you want to make them look especially fancy you can use a pastry bag to pipe on the creamy peanut butter frosting or chocolate frosting.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Kind of Cake Mix Did You Use?
We used Devil’s Food Cake for our cupcakes, which is an extra-fluffy and extra-rich tasting chocolate cake mix. Devil’s food cake incorporates cocoa powder and extra baking soda to amp up the flavor and texture. However, you are welcome to use any kind of chocolate cake mix that you prefer.
Can I Use Full-Sized Peanut Butter Cups?
Sure! We’ve actually done both and they turn out fantastic either way!
When you use full-sized Reese’s cups, some of the peanut butter may peek out the sides of the cupcakes after baking, but that’s ok!
Can I Bake the Cupcakes from Scratch?
Of course! We used box cake mix to save time — it’s one of our favorite baking shortcuts, especially if we’re taking treats to a party and are in a hurry!
These Kit Cat Candy Bar Cupcakes start with a from-scratch chocolate cupcake recipe if you’d like to give that a try!
You can also use from-scratch chocolate buttercream frosting instead of store-bought or even homemade peanut butter icing to switch it up!
The main point of this recipe when I first wrote it was to make it super easy for people like me who are not expert bakers. But like any recipe, you can always make it fancier or give it your own special touch!
More of our favorite cupcake recipes:
- Apple Pie Cupcakes
- Easy Piñata Cupcakes
- S’Mores Cookie Cupcakes
- PEEPS Bunny Cupcakes
- Pink Champagne Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes
- Easy Mermaid Cupcakes
- Rudolph Cupcakes
- Jack Skellington Pull Apart Cupcakes
- Red White and Blue Swirl Cupcakes
Peanut Butter Cup Filled Cupcakes Recipe (Printable Copy)
If you made this recipe, please rate it! We’d love to hear what you think!
Reese's Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- 1 Electric mixer
- 1 Muffin Pan
- 1 box chocolate cake mix plus ingredients on box
- 1 can chocolate frosting
- 12 mini peanut butter cups
- Prepare chocolate cake mix according to instructions on box. Fill cupcake liners halfway with batter.
- Place one peanut butter cup in the middle of each cupcake and press slightly into the batter so that the top peanut butter cup is below the surface of the cupcake pan.
- Cover with remaining cupcake batter so that you can no longer see the peanut butter cups.
- Bake according to directions on box.
- Allow to cool before frosting with either chocolate or peanut butter frosting. Decorate with chopped peanut butter cups
Pin our Reese’s Peanut Butter Cupcakes on Pinterest:
You might also like:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Texas Sheet Cake
Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
- Why We Take Our Shoes Off In The House - March 27, 2023
- Cowboy Caviar - March 24, 2023
- Bunny Bait - March 22, 2023
Emma's Mamma says
Wow that’s my idea of heaven! Will definitely give that a go! #foodpornthursdays
Stacey aka the Soccer Mom says
They’re sooo good…and easy! Even I can make them 😉
These look amazing! I love Reece’s peanut butter cups but the mini ones don’t seem very common here in the UK. When I was last in America 2 years ago I stocked up on loads and brought them home. I’ll hunt for the mini ones so I can make these, if not I guess I could use the normal sized ones and be extra naughty!
Stacey aka the Soccer Mom says
The normal size should work I think– who knows, it might even be better! 🙂
These look so delicious! I will make them once I think, just afraid I will eat them all lol 🙂 #foodpornthursdays
Stacey aka the Soccer Mom says
Haha! I’ve definitely eaten more than I intended– I usually give some of them away 😉