Absolutely perfect fudge brownies from scratch. Simple as that.
To All My Fudge Brownie Purists,
If you take a look at the desserts section on my website, you may notice that there are quite a few brownie recipes. That’s no accident…I sort of (ok, totally) have a thing for brownies!
I’m willing to experiment with a few add-ins and toppings (as long as you don’t try to ruin them with nuts!) We’ve made strawberry brownies, cocoa pebbles brownies, homemade cosmic brownies, and even healthy avocado brownies (so good!)
However, as much as I love all those other brownie recipes, I’m generally a brownie purist. To me there’s nothing better than rich, chewy, fudge brownies from scratch. They’re pretty much perfect on their own!
I’m not sure what took so long, but I finally published a recipe to make brownies from scratch. It’s a simple, classic recipe (with an extra hit of chocolate for even richer fudge flavor!)
Aside from the moist chocolate fudge interior, I’m in love with the chewy edges (my favorite part of the whole brownie) and the flaky crust. Absolutely perfect.
So to all my fellow fudge brownie purists, this one’s for you!
Kitchen Supplies Used
For your convenience, I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products used to make our brownies from scratch; read our disclosure policy here.
- Medium saucepan
- Non-slip mixing bowls
- Wire whisk
- 9×9″ baking pan (This one comes with a handy lid!)
- Parchment paper
How to Make the Best Brownies from Scratch
First, watch a quick demo video how to make the perfect brownies from scratch, then keep reading for photo step-by-step instructions and prep tips. There’s also a free printable copy of our fudge brownies recipe at the bottom of the post.
Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9×9″ baking pan with parchment paper.
Melt chocolate chunks in a medium saucepan along with water and sugar. This is the “secret” ingredient for extra super fudge-y brownies!
Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl add the rest of your brownie ingredients and stir together until just combined.
I know I said above that I love old-fashioned fudge brownies with nothing in them, and then I go and put chocolate chips in this recipe…
…BUT the chocolate chips melt while baking and cook into the brownies for little pockets of heavenly chocolate goodness!
When your chocolate mixture is melted, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. You just don’t want it to cook the eggs when you add to your mixing bowl.
Once the chocolate sauce is about room temperature (or slightly warmer), go ahead and pour into your mixing bowl and whisk together until you have a thick, chocolate-y batter.
Now you’re ready to bake! Pop ’em in the oven for 40 minutes, then allow to cool before cutting.
Be sure to pin this recipe to make brownies from scratch:
Grab a free printable copy of our perfect Fudge Brownies recipe:
Absolutely Perfect Fudge Brownies from Scratch
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa
- ½ cup chocolate chunks
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9x9" baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, water, and chocolate chunks, stirring until chocolate is melted. Remove pan from heat and allow mixture to cool (but not harden).
- Add flour, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, baking powder, and salt to a mixing bowl and stir to incorporate. Add eggs, oil and vanilla and mix until just combined.
- Pour melted chocolate into mixing bowl with the rest of your ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour brownie batter into baking pan and bake for 40 minutes at 350°F.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
More of my favorite brownie recipes:
- When You’re Sleep Deprived Mama, Remember This - January 14, 2021
- How to Start Making Money Blogging (Even as a Beginner) - January 13, 2021
- Healthy Barbecue Chicken Pizza with Sweet Potato Crust - January 9, 2021