These chocolate avocado brownies are almost too good to be true!! They’re unbelievably rich, fudgy and decadent…and guilt-free! High in omega-3s & good fats, PLUS gluten free and dairy fee, this healthy brownie recipe is one of our all-time favorite treats, healthy or not!
The BEST Avocado Brownies
This is one of the best desserts I’ve ever had in my life. And that is NOT an exaggeration…these brownies are THAT good!!
Best part? They’re actually pretty good for you! (Or at least WAY better than traditional brownies!)
What’s the secret ingredient that brings all the magic??
Hear me out! I promise they’re good!
Not just good…pretty amazing actually!! My kids love them too! And they don’t even like avocados!!
Rich, chewy, and fudge-y, these avocado brownies taste like a total indulgence — yet they’re a guilt-free treat!
Gluten-free and packed with good fats and omega-3s, you get all the superfood benefit of avocados in a dessert.
The best part? The flavor and texture is so spot-on that you’d never know there are avocados. (Except I told you!)
So if you’re trying to sneak a little healthy food in your kid’s diets, this is an easy way to do it. My girls are not fans of avocados at all, but they sure gobble up these avocado brownies!
Kid-approved! Just look at that smile!
Oh, and did I mention that these avocado brownies are super easy to make? And you can freeze ’em so you’ll always have a healthy-ish treat on hand when cravings strike!
Can You Bake with Avocados?
Avocados add moisture to baked goods, plus nutrients that wouldn’t normally be found in sweet treats.
Our daughters don’t care for avocados on their own (it’s a texture thing). However, whip up a batch of avocado cookies or brownies and they will eat them right up!
What Can I Do with Lots of Ripe Avocados?
Avocados are expensive, so it goes without saying that you don’t want to let any go to waste!
However, when they’re ripe, avocados have a short shelf life, so you need to use them quickly.
That’s why we love to incorporate avocados into unexpected dishes, like these brownies. You’d be amazed what you can make with avocados!
Here are a few of our favorite sweet treats made with avocado:
- Chocolate Avocado Cookies
- Creamy Avocado Fudgesicles
- Keto Chocolate Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Chip Avocado Ice Cream
This particular brownie recipe is actually an update to our original Healthy Marbled Chocolate Avocado Brownie Bars Recipe from a couple years ago. Both are yummy, but I think I like the new one even better!
What Can I Use Instead of Oil for Brownies?
I’ll give you one guess…
…you guessed it!! Avocados!!
You might have noticed that this recipe does not call for oil. That’s because avocados provide plenty of moisture and fat content needed to make these brownies (as well as many other baked goods) rich, moist, and just the right texture.
How to Make Avocados Last Longer
On the counter at room temperature, avocados go bad pretty quickly. We keep ours in a plastic bag in the fridge and this usually extends their life by a few days at least.
Avocados kept in the fridge should stay good for 3-5 days, or even up to a week if you’re lucky!
As soon as you start noticing them going brown, it’s time to start baking!
Want More Yumminess? — Click here to see our 50 favorite gluten free dessert recipes!
Avocado Brownie Ingredients
For your convenience, I’ve included shop-able ad links to products used to make this recipe; full disclosure policy here.
- 2 large avocados
- Brown rice flour — One of our favorite gluten free flours for baking
- Cocoa powder — We love Cocoa Metro unsweetened cocoa for baking! It’s a tad pricey, but you can absolutely taste the difference! Here’s a link on Amazon if you’d like to buy in bulk.
- Coconut sugar — We love coconut sugar for our healthier baking treats because it’s lower glycemic than regular sugar and contains both fiber and antioxidants.
- Baking soda
- Chocolate chips — When making these for our kids, we use regular chocolate chips. However, you can make these a little healthier by using sugar free chocolate chips or extra dark chocolate chips.
Make them Dairy Free!
Use dairy free chocolate chips (we love Enjoy Life chocolate chips) or extra dark chocolate chips to make this a dairy free recipe. Be sure to check the labels before using to make sure that your chocolate chips are indeed nondairy.
For an extra fudgy treat, top your brownies with our Coconut Oil Chocolate Frosting! This frosting only takes 2 ingredients and you can make it a rich glaze or fluffy frosting!
Supplies used to make this recipe:
Avocado Brownie Recipe
Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare an 8×8″ brownie pan.
Add the flesh of two avocados to food processor with 1 cup coconut sugar and 1/2 cup cocoa powder. Blend until smooth.
Add eggs, rice flour, and baking soda. Pulse until eggs are just mixed into batter – you don’t want to over-beat them.
Carefully remove blade from food processor. Use a spatula to fold chocolate chips into batter.
Spread batter into 8×8 brownie pan. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Cool thoroughly before cutting and serving.
How to Store Your Brownies
- These brownies are best when stored in the fridge. If kept covered and refrigerated, they should last 2-3 days.
- You can also keep for up to a month in the freezer. Individually wrap the brownies, then place them inside a large freezer bag.
Make Cooking Fun (and Easy!)
Grab a free printable copy of our chocolate avocado brownies recipe:
If you love this recipe, rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!
Chocolate Avocado Brownies
- 2 large avocados
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add the flesh of two avocados to food processor with 1 cup coconut sugar and 1/2 cup cocoa powder. Blend until smooth.
- Add eggs, rice flour, and baking soda to processor. Pulse until eggs are just mixed into batter, to avoid over-beating.
- Carefully remove blade from food processor. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to fold chocolate chips into batter.
- Spread batter into a prepared 8×8 brownie pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Cool thoroughly before cutting and serving. Keep refrigerated.
Be sure to pin this delicious Avocado Brownies Recipe on Pinterest: