Homemade mayonnaise is not only delicious, but good for you too! Our keto mayo is also Paleo, no carb, and gluten free!!
Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
I love mayo.
When I was a kid, I used to eat mayonnaise sandwiches. That’s how much I loved the stuff! (Don’t judge!)
I’m still a pretty big mayo fan, though I like to think my palate is a bit more sophisticated now (no more mayo sandwiches). However, I still use mayonnaise all the time!
Related: See how to make our Low Carb Spicy Mayo too!
Is Mayonnaise Keto-Friendly?
Well to be specific, homemade mayonnaise (like this recipe) is keto-friendly. It’s made with simple, real food ingredients and contains no carbs.
Essentially, if you’re following a strict ketogenic diet, you can have as much of this mayo as you want! If you’re not on a low-carb or keto diet, this homemade mayonnaise is still a healthier alternative than most store-bought versions; however, you might want to stick to a serving size of 1-2 Tablespoons.
Health Benefits of Homemade Mayo
- Homemade mayonnaise is made with simple, real ingredients. Egg yolks are rich in Omega 3s, protein, and B vitamins — all of which you need in your life!
- This homemade mayonnaise recipe is keto-friendly. You can also incorporate into a paleo diet if you omit the Dijon mustard (unless you make your own or check the ingredients on the bottle to make sure there aren’t any non-paleo additives).
- Making your own mayonnaise allows you to know exactly what goes into your food — no chemicals or additives.
Keep reading for full photo step-by-step instructions or scroll to end of post for recipe video and printable recipe card.
Want to learn more about the Keto Diet?
For your convenience, I’ve included shop-able ad links to resources used to make this recipe and about the Keto lifestyle. Disclosure policy available here.
Grab the best-selling resource The Keto Diet by Leanne Vogel, creator of the renowned website Healthful Pursuit. It breaks down the secret to how fats can actually super-charge weight loss, without leaving you feeling hungry! Plus there are a ton of other keto-friendly recipes inside.
More of our favorite keto recipes:
- No-bake Keto Cookies
- 3-Ingredient Keto Peanut Butter Cookies
- Keto Breakfast Cups
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Buffalo Chicken Keto Cauliflower Tots – new recipe!
Keto Mayo Ingredients
- Egg yolks
- Neutral flavored cooking oil (avocado oil, light olive oil, etc.)
- Lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
- Pepper (optional)
A free printable copy of this Keto Mayonnaise Recipe with full ingredient amounts and instructions is available at the bottom of the post.
How to Make Homemade Mayonnaise
First, watch our quick video demo to see how to make our healthy homemade mayonnaise recipe, then keep reading for photo step-by-step directions.
Click video to play:
In a large mixing bowl, add eggs, mustard, salt and pepper.
Begin whisking ingredients in bowl. While you whisk, slowly drizzle in the oil. As you continue to whisk, the oil will cause the mixture to thicken.
Keep whisking until you’ve incorporated about half of the oil.
Pause whisking to add the lemon juice and vinegar. Whisk again to mix them in.
Begin pouring the rest of the oil into the bowl and continue whisking until all the oil is incorporated into the mayonnaise. It should be thick and creamy, and light in color.
Refrigerate at least 1 hour before use.
To Store: Keep refrigerated between uses in an airtight container or mason jar. Best if used within one week.
Grab a free printable copy of our Homemade Mayonnaise:
Homemade Keto Mayonnaise is not only delicious, but good for you too!
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup cooking oil light or neutral-flavored works best
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- dash pepper optional
Add eggs, mustard, salt and pepper (if using) to a large mixing bowl.
Begin whisking above ingredients together by hand. While you whisk, slowly drizzle in the oil. As you continue to whisk, the oil will cause the mixture to thicken.
Continue whisking until you've incorporated about half of the oil.
Pause to add the lemon juice and vinegar to bowl. Whisk again to mix them in.
- Begin pouring the rest of the oil into the bowl and continue whisking until all the oil is incorporated into the mayonnaise. It should be thick and creamy, and light in color.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before use. Keep refrigerated between uses.
Note: Nutrition information is a rough estimate only; actual values will vary based on the exact ingredients used and amount of recipe prepared.
1 serving = about 1 Tablespoon
Note: This recipe contains raw egg, so it is not recommended for infants, pregnant women, or anyone with weakened immune systems. Feel free to substitute pasteurized egg yolk if needed.
Pin our Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe on Pinterest:
More of our favorite simple & delicious sauce recipes:
Last updated on December 2nd, 2019 at 01:01 pm