My husband introduced me to Vietnamese iced coffee a few years ago and I was hooked right away. Dark, strong coffee perfectly balanced with syrupy sweet condensed milk, served in a glass piled with ice — there are few things more refreshing on a hot Texas summer day!
There’s only one problem– I’m lactose intolerant, so unless I happen to have a dairy supplement on hand, my beloved Vietnamese iced coffees are out of the question. Worrying about a tummy-ache takes a lot of the fun out of the coffee experience, so I decided to create my own, non-dairy version at home.
For this Vietnamese iced coffee recipe you’ll be making your own sweetened condensed coconut milk– it takes a little time, but you’ll end up with enough for the next day’s coffee too! (Plus it’s amazingly delicious and so worth the effort!) I love espresso (and I have a super-handy Nespresso machine) so that’s what I’m using for this recipe, though you can use whatever coffee you prefer.
**Tip: Spoon this homemade condensed coconut milk into your hot coffee too and enjoy a rich, decadent treat with all the health benefits of coconut milk!
- 1 can coconut milk unsweetened
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 shots Espresso
- Pour entire can of coconut milk into a small saucepan and bring to a rolling boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While coconut milk is reducing, brew espresso and set aside (it's better to let it cool so it won't immediately melt the ice when served.)
- Once coconut milk has reduced to about half (25 minutes), remove from heat and whisk in honey.
- Pour in a freezer-safe container and put in freezer until chilled.
- Fill a glass to the top with ice.
- Pour about an inch and a half of condensed coconut milk into glass of ice. Save the rest of the coconut milk in fridge for next time!
- Top with espresso.
- Stir if desired and enjoy!
Latest posts by Stacey aka the Soccer Mom (see all)
- Ham and Cheese Croquettes (Croquetas de Jamón y Queso) - November 20, 2019
- 34 Easy Cricut Christmas Crafts - November 20, 2019
- German Chocolate Fudge - November 19, 2019
Last updated on August 5th, 2019 at 03:21 pm