Inspired by the classic pastry, this chocolate eclair cake is cool, creamy, and chocolately! It’s also super easy to make with only 4 ingredients and no baking needed!
No Bake Eclair Cake
My husband LOVES donuts. He’ll often treat our girls to a trip to the donut shop, but I think it is as much for him as it is for them!
One of my favorite things to get at the donut store is an eclair — I love the rich filling and of course the chocolate icing! It’s so decadent!
This chocolate eclair cake is inspired by those donut shop favorites, except this cake is WAY easier to make! There are only 4 simple ingredients and no baking required!
Related: For another donut shop inspired recipe, try our Cherry Jelly Donut Cupcakes! They’re gluten free too!
What is an Eclair?
An éclair is a French choux pasty filled with cream and topped with chocolate. Choux dough is a light and flaky dough also used for cream puffs.
The eclairs that you’d find in a typical donut shop are based on that traditional dessert, but likely use regular yeast donut dough. Still delicious though!!
This cake is based on the three components of an eclair: dough (graham crackers), custard (our whipped pudding), and chocolate topping. When everything is layered, the graham crackers soften and all the flavors start to melt together for a truly mouthwatering experience!
Chocolate Eclair Cake Ingredients
For your convenience, I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products used to make this recipe; read our disclosure policy here.
- Whipped Topping — Such as Cool Whip
- Instant Vanilla Pudding — plus milk to make pudding
- Graham crackers — One large box should cover it
- Chocolate frosting — A can of store-bought frosting
Kitchen Tools Used
How to Make No Bake Eclair Cake
First, prepare pudding according to the directions on the box. Fold whipped topping into the bowl of pudding and stir until combined.
Now, simply layer your eclair cake:
- Graham crackers, topped with half of the pudding mixture
- Second layer of graham crackers, topped with remaining pudding
- Third layer of graham crackers
- Chocolate frosting
Place the cake in the fridge to chill for at least two hours before slicing.
Can You Use Homemade Frosting?
Absolutely! To be honest, I think homemade tastes even better! It just requires a little extra time to cook the frosting and allow it to set fully, so you’ll want to plan ahead.
Homemade Chocolate Frosting Ingredients
- Granulated sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa
- Salted butter
- Vanilla extract
In a saucepan over medium heat add milk, sugar and cocoa powder and bring to a boil. Once it starts to boil, allow to cook for 2 minutes.
Turn off heat, add butter and vanilla and stir. Let the frosting cool a bit, so it’s not boiling hot. While still warm, pour over the top of your cake and spread to cover evenly.
Refrigerate for several hours — or even better overnight.
I’ve also included full ingredient amounts and instructions for this frosting in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
More of our favorite easy no bake desserts:
- No Bake Strawberry Icebox Cake
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake (Only 3 Ingredients!)
- No Bake Cherry Cheesecake
- Peaches & Cream Trifle
- No Bake Cookie Monster Cheesecake
No Bake Eclair Cake Recipe
Tried this recipe and loved it? Please rate it!
No Bake Chocolate Eclair Cake
- 1 Cool Whip regular size container
- 5 oz Instant Vanilla Pudding plus milk to make pudding
- 14 oz graham crackers 1 typical box
- 1 cup chocolate frosting up to one can, as needed
Homemade Chocolate Topping
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa
- ⅓ cup salted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
No Bake Eclair Cake Instructions
- Prepare pudding according to directions on box.
- Scoop whipped topping into mixing bowl with the pudding and use a large spoon or spatula to fold the two together.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13 pan with a layer of graham crackers. Top with half of the pudding mixture.
- Add another layer of graham crackers, then top with remaining pudding mixture.
- Add a third layer of graham crackers and top with chocolate frosting.
- Chill for at least 2 hours.
Instructions to Make Homemade Chocolate Topping (Instead of Canned Frosting)
- In a saucepan over medium heat add milk, sugar and cocoa powder and bring to a boil.
- Once it starts to boil, boil for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add butter and vanilla and stir. Allow to cool for a few minutes, then pour over top of graham crackers while the chocolate is still warm.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Pin this recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: