These Dill Pickle Shots are made with pickle brine, which takes the bite out of vodka for a surprisingly smooth drink!
Dill Pickle Shots
If you like briny cocktails such as a dirty martini or Bloody Mary, then you will love these tangy pickle shots! The pickle vodka combination is the perfect mix of salty and tangy.
The first time I ever heard of pickle shots was back when I worked in restaurants and one of the guests requested a “pickleback,” which was a shot of vodka or whiskey followed by a separate shot of pickle juice as a chaser. I tried it to find out for myself and the pickle juice really did take away the bite of the liquor! Yummy!
So why not mix it all together and serve in one glass? This quickly became one of my favorite shots to serve as a bartender because it was always a hit! If you want to take your bartending game or party hosting skills up a notch, try this unique drink recipe!
Pickle Shots Ingredients
- 6 Ounces Dill Pickle Juice (Brine)
- 6 Ounces Vodka
Yield: Makes six 2 oz shots
Optional Garnish Ideas
I’ve included affiliate links for your convenience in re-creating this recipe; disclosure policy available here.
- Extra pickle juice
- Tajin seasoning
- Round pickle slice
Bartender Tools Used
- Cocktail shaker — I was a bartender for years before I had kids and this was my favorite style of cocktail shaker.
- Shot glass or small cup
Recipe intended for readers 21+; please enjoy responsibly!
- Add pickle juice and vodka to a cocktail shaker with ice cubes.
- Shake or stir for 5 seconds to chill and blend the ingredients. (Shaking will break up the ice a bit, creating a frostier shot. Stirring chills the drink without crushing any of the ice).
- Strain and pour the pickle vodka mixture into shot glasses.
- Garnish with a pickle chip. (Cut a small slit in half of the pickle so it will sit nicely on each shot glass rim).
- You don’t need to go out and buy any special product called “pickle juice” or anything like that. Just use the brine from the pickle jars you have on hand.
- For a less-strong drink, add a bit of extra pickle juice to the cocktail shaker when making your shots.
- Try different types of pickles and brine to switch up the flavors of your shots. Sweet gherkin, spicy dill, garlic pickles…so many fun options!
- Give your pickle shots a kick by using Tajin seasoning (lime chili powder) on the rim of the shot glass. The spicy flavors of the tajin garnish pairs perfectly with the salty pickle brine.
- I don’t recommend using salt on the rim of your shots because pickle juice is already quite salty. It would be way too salty with both!
- This is an easy recipe to double or make in small batches because we used an equal part pickle juice and an equal part vodka. Just keep the 50/50 ratio and you’re good!
- Make it a martini by straining a larger portion into chilled martini glasses! Pickle martini, anyone?!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Best Kind of Vodka to Use for Pickle Shots?
The best vodka to use is a kind that YOU like! I would suggest using a good quality vodka, but it doesn’t have to be the most expensive top-shelf liquor.
Can You Use a Different Kind of Liquor?
We made our pickle shots with vodka because vodka blends easily. However, pickle brine makes the perfect addition to tequila shots or a shot of whiskey too. You could use a shot of bourbon or Irish whiskey like Jameson or even gin. I would skip the Scotch whiskey for this particular drink because it has a strong peaty taste that might overpower even the strong pickle flavor of the brine. Have fun trying new pickle shot recipes!
More Unique Shot Recipes To Try
- Champagne Jello Shots
- Root Beer Float Jello Shots
- Banana Pudding Shots
- Grinch Jello Shots
- Crown Peach Jello Shots
Pickle Shots Recipe (Printable Recipe Card)
If you tried this recipe and liked it, please rate it!
Pickle Shots with Vodka
- Cocktail shaker
- 6 Ounces Dill Pickle Juice brine
- 6 Ounces Vodka
- Extra Pickle Juice
- Tajin Seasoning
- Pickle Chips
- Add pickle brine and vodka to a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Stir or shake for 5 seconds to blend, then strain and pour into shot glasses.
- Garnish with a pickle chip.
Pin our Vodka Pickle Shot Recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like:
Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Pickles
- Cowboy Caviar - March 24, 2023
- Bunny Bait - March 22, 2023
- 20 Thrifty Kitchen Hacks - March 21, 2023
Leave a Reply