Show your love with this sweet Valentine’s Day Cookie Cake! This heart shaped cookie cake is made with a fresh baked extra thick chocolate chip cookie and topped with delicious pink buttercream frosting. It only takes about 30 minutes to make!
Valentine’s Day Cookie Cake
Growing up, I can remember that it was a big thing to get a chocolate chip cookie cake for your birthday or special occasions. When our mall got a Great American Cookie shop, it was exciting!
With this recipe, you can make your own heart shaped cookie cake for Valentine’s Day! This is a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe finished with a yummy pink buttercream frosting.
And candy… lots of candy!! Because we CAN!!
The best part about this chocolate chip cookie cake is that you can customize it! Not only with candy and other add-ins, but also you can bake in a similar sized pan of a different shape. You can make cookie cakes for any special day!
In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make a cookie cake heart, but you can adapt this recipe to use in a circle pan or any other fun shaped cookie pan!
For your convenience in re-creating our heart shaped chocolate chip cookie cake, I’ve included shop-able ad links to some of the products we used. Disclosure policy available here.
What You Need to Make a Valentines Cookie Cake
- Butter — Make sure to use unsalted butter, as we already add salt to the recipe. We will need butter for both the cookie dough and the buttercream frosting.
- Light brown sugar — For that rich chocolate chip cookie flavor!
- White sugar — Two kinds of sugar is better than one, right? 😉
- Vanilla extract — We will use vanilla extract in both the chocolate chip cookie dough and the buttercream frosting.
- Flour — You can make this a gluten free recipe by swapping regular flour with all purpose gluten free flour!
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
- Semi sweet chocolate chips — Feel free to use milk chocolate, white chocolate, or dark chocolate…whichever is your favorite…or all of them!
- Semi sweet chocolate chunks
- Red and White M&M’s — An optional add-in that makes our cookie cake look especially festive!
- Powdered sugar — A staple in classic buttercream frosting.
- Heavy whipping cream — We’ll need a few Tablespoons for our frosting.
- Pink gel food coloring — We love gel food coloring because you only need a couple drops to achieve rich vibrant colors! Because you only use a little, the bottle lasts a long time too!
- Pink and white heart sprinkles — We’ll use sprinkles in both the cookie dough and to decorate!
Special Kitchen Tools Used
- 10″ Heart shaped cookie pan or 9″ heart shaped cake pan — We used the 9″ cake pan, which is deeper. If using the cookie pan, you may need to reduce baking time slightly.
- 1 large piping bag with star tip — We bought a kit that included a reusable silicone piping bag and multiple decorating tips. It’s awesome and we use it all the time! (Great gift idea!)
How to Make a Heart Shaped Cookie Cake
Preheat oven to 350°F and prep your heart shaped cookie cake pan with non-stick cooking spray. You can also use a regular round pan if you’re making a cookie cake for any occasion!
First, make your chocolate chip cookie dough:
- Cream butter and sugars until fluffy and smooth, then beat in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- In a separate mixing bowl, which together dry ingredients.
- Slowly add flour mixture to wet ingredients, mixing as you go.
- Stir in chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, and M&Ms with a wooden spoon.
Once your dough is ready, scoop it into the cake pan and press down gently to fit. Top with sprinkles and bake for around 20 minutes, or until the edges just start to turn a light golden brown.
I like my cookie soft in the middle, so I take extra care not to over-bake. If you like your cookie a little more done, cook for another minute or two.
Once the cookie pan is cool enough to handle, carefully remove cake from pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
While the cookie cools, make your frosting:
- Using a standing mixer, beat together all ingredients (except food coloring) until frosting is smooth and stiff peaks form.
- Add few drops of the pink coloring and mix until frosting is evenly colored.
- Scoop into a piping bag with star tip.
Now it’s time to decorate!
Pipe the frosting around the edge of the Valentines cookie cake and top with more sprinkles. You can even switch out the tip on your decorating bag and write a special Valentine’s Day message in frosting!
Can I Make this Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake Gluten Free?
Yes! Simply swap out the flour for gluten free flour.
We recommend choosing an all-purpose gluten free flour for the task.
You may also want to check the packaging on the rest ingredients you’re using to make sure they are processed in a gluten-free facility, if cross-contamination is of concern.
More of our Favorite Valentine’s Day desserts:
- Very Cherry Dump Cake
- Valentine Pretzel Treats
- Red Lips Valentine Cookies
- Queen of Hearts Homemade Pop Tarts
- Conversation Heart Marshmallow Pops
Grab a free printable copy of our Valentine’s Day Cookie Cake Recipe:
If you like this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Heart Shaped Cookie Cake
- Stand mixer
- Piping bag
- Heart shaped cake pan
- Mixing bowls
Cookie Cake Ingredients
- ¾ Cup butter unsalted, softened
- ¾ Cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ Cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Cup flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1/2 Cup Red and White M&M’s
- ½ Cup pink and white heart sprinkles
- 1 1/2 Cup butter unsalted, softened
- 3 Cup powdered sugar
- 4 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pink gel food coloring
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prep pan with non-stick baking spray.
- Using a standing mixer, cream butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Slowly mix dry ingredients into bowl of wet ingredients.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, chocolate chunks and M&Ms by hand with a wooden spoon.
- Press batter into the heart shaped pan.
- Add pink and white heart sprinkles to top of cookie.
- Bake at 350 for 20-22 minutes or until lightly browned on the sides.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Using a standing mixer to beat together all frosting ingredients (minus food coloring) until smooth and stiff peaks form.
- Mix in a few drops of the pink coloring until you have a nice rich pink color.
- Scoop frosting into piping bag fitted with a star tip.
- Pipe frosting along the edge of the cookie cake and finish with more sprinkles.
- Feel free to use a fine tip in your decorating bag and write a Valentine message on the middle of the cookie in frosting!
Pin this Valentine’s Day Cookie Cake Recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like: