Looking for a fun recipe to make with the kids while they’re at home? These cool and colorful LEGO Rice Krispie Treats are a must for any LEGO fan!
Rice Krispie LEGO Treats
This recipe is for all my fellow LEGO fans out there, both young and old!
Growing up, I was totally OBSESSED with all things LEGO!!
I created a LEGO world that pretty much took up half of our basement. My brother, sister, and I would play for hours every day. I even filmed LEGO stop-action “movies” with my parents video camera.
My girls love all the new LEGO movies — not my goofy home videos LOL…the real movies that is! I’m so excited to have them share my love of LEGO!
These LEGO Rice Krispie Treats make me so happy! They’re perfect to make with kids or to serve at a birthday party. And they’re easy!
LEGO Rice Krispie Treats Ingredients
Affiliate links provided for your convenience in re-creating this recipe; disclosure policy available here.
For the Rice Krispie Treats:
- Rice Krispies cereal — or any brand puffed rice cereal
- Mini marshmallows — You can also use large marshmallows and cut them into smaller pieces for easier melting.
- Butter — Be sure to use unsalted butter!
For the LEGO Topping:
- Egg whites
- Vanilla extract
- Cream of tartar
- Powdered sugar
- Red, blue, & green gel food coloring — We love gel food coloring because it makes such vibrant colors!
- M&Ms candy — separate into red, blue, and green
Kitchen Supplies Used:
- 9-inch square baking pan
- Medium saucepan
- Wax paper or parchment paper — if you don’t have either of these, be sure to coat the entire pan liberally with butter or non-stick spray
Are Rice Krispie Treats Gluten Free?
Rice itself is gluten free, however, many puffed rice cereals use additives that contain gluten. For example, Rice Krispies brand cereal contains with malt syrup, which is made with barley.
Those with gluten sensitivity or Celiac’s will want to look for a puffed rice cereal that is specifically labeled as gluten free.
Most marshmallows are gluten free, though it’s always a good idea to check labels to be sure! Classic M&Ms are gluten free, though they could potentially encounter cross-contamination from other candy processed in the same facilities.
Overall, if you’re careful when selecting ingredients, these LEGO Rice Krispie treats can be a great gluten free treat!
What Can I Use Instead of Rice Krispies?
Any cereal will work with similar sized pieces that are crispy, but easy to chew. Cheerios is a good example of a cereal that you can substitute for Rice Krispies to make rice krispies treats.
Related: Try our easy Honey Nut Cheerio Balls recipe too! Only 4 ingredients and kids will love them!
Could I Use Melted Chocolate Instead of the Coating Recipe?
If you are missing any of the ingredients needed to make our glaze recipe, another option is white chocolate mixed with food coloring.
Heat white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in 20-second increments, stirring in-between. When chocolate is smooth and melted, stir in a couple drops of food coloring until you have a rich color.
Repeat this process for each color of LEGO Rice Krispie treats you’re making.
Should You Refrigerate Rice Krispie Treats?
Nope! Rice Krispie Treats are best stored in a covered container at room temperature, away from heat or light. Putting them in the fridge could actually make them soggy.
Why Are My Rice Krispie Treats Soggy?
Rice Krispie Treats are one of the easiest desserts to make, but there are a few things that can go wrong. Here are our tips for making the perfect treats every time:
- Don’t use old marshmallows — if they’re a little old, they should still work. But marshmallows that are stale and kind of melted together in a clump won’t have the right consistency anymore.
- Make sure to use enough marshmallows — If you don’t use enough marshmallows, your treats could fall apart! Use too many and your treats could turn out soggy. It’s all about balance!
- Don’t leave them uncovered — Especially if you live in a humid climate, you’ll want to keep your treats in a sealed, airtight container to prevent outside moisture from messing with them. Also, the fridge is a no-no!
- Enjoy them within a couple days — After 3-4 days, Rice Krispie Treats will start to get kind of mushy. Though in a house full of kids, this likely won’t be an issue!
More LEGO Fun:
Love LEGOs as much as we do?? Check out these other cool LEGO recipes and crafts:
Grab a Free Printable Copy of Our LEGO Marshmallow Treats recipe:
If you liked this recipe, please rate it!
Looking for a fun recipe to make with the kids while they're at home? These cool and colorful LEGO Rice Krispie Treats are a must for any LEGO fan!
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 3 cups powder sugar
- gel food coloring red, blue, & green
- M & Ms red, blue & green
Cover bottom and sides of a 9" x 9" baking pan with wax paper. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Once butter is liquid, add mini marshmallows and stir until melted.
Remove pan from heat and mix in Rice Krispies cereal until all cereal is coated in marshmallow mixture.
Scoop Rice Krispie treat "batter" into baking pan. Cover with a sheet of wax paper and press down to form to the shape of the pan.
Chill covered Rice Krispie treats in fridge until fully cooled. (Around 15-30 minutes).
Combine all ingredients (except the gel colors and M&M's) in a stand mixer and mix on medium speed until well combined and smooth.
- Split icing evenly into 3 small mixing bowls. Add a couple drops of gel food coloring to each bowl (one color per bowl) and stir. Continue adding gel color drop by drop until your icing is the desired shade.
Cut Rice Krispies treats into small rectangles. Dip the top of each individual treat into one color icing.
Set on a baking sheet and place 6 M&Ms in the same color of the icing on top of each treat to look like a Lego block.
Allow to set for an hour until icing hardens.
Note: Nutrition information is a rough estimate only; actual values will vary based on the exact ingredients used and amount of recipe prepared.
Be sure to pin this LEGO Rice Krispie Treats recipe on Pinterest:
You might also like:
Last updated on March 24th, 2020 at 06:39 pm