These Texas Sheet Cake Cookies are a fun twist on a classic Texas recipe – a chocolate lover’s dream come true!
Texas Sheet Cake Cookies
I’m not originally from Texas, so when I first moved here in college, I had a LOT to learn about the traditions here. And trust me, Texas is a state that is built on tradition!
Oh, and it’s all delicious! No wonder these foods stuck around even as fewer Texans live the traditional ranch lifestyle.
Another one of my favorite Texas foods is Texas sheet cake – it’s made with simple ingredients and is a chocolate lover’s dream!
Related: Love chocolate? Try our Nutella Microwave Fudge too!
What is Texas Sheet Cake?
Texas Sheet Cake is one of those things where everyone has their own family recipe, so there is often a bit of controversy when it comes to the “right” way to make it.
However, there are a few key features to pretty much every Texas Sheet Cake recipe:
- Large flat chocolate cake (a sheet cake, as the name implies)
- Rich chocolate icing (the richer the better!)
- Pecans (we love pecans in Texas!)
Sounds delicious right? There’s a reason that Texas sheet cake is so popular!
These Texas sheet cake cookies are a handheld version of the classic cake. They’re a fun spin on the traditional recipe, perfect for making at the holidays or for gifting, and they are packed with chocolate!
I love this recipe because it’s fairly easy (chocolate cake mix cookies) but the from-scratch icing makes them taste so incredibly delicious!
Texas Sheet Cake Cookies Ingredients
Affiliate links provided for your convenience in re-creating this recipe; read disclosure policy here.
For the Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies:
For the Chocolate Icing:
- 1/2 cup unsalted sweet cream butter
- 2 Tablespoon cocoa powder (this is our favorite kind…SO rich and chocolate-y)
- 3 Tablespoon whole milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Kitchen Supplies Used:
- Cookie sheet
- Wire cooling rack
- Non-stick silicone baking mats
- Medium cookie scooper
- Wire whisk
- Measuring cups and spoons
How to Make Texas Sheet Cake Cookies
First, watch our quick 1-minute video to see how we make our Texas Sheet Cake Cookies, then keep reading for photo step-by-step directions. A free printable copy of this recipe is below the prep tips.
Click video to play:
To Make the Texas Sheet Cake Cookies:
Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare two cookie sheets with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mats. (We love these mats because you can wash them and reuse them and cookies slide right off them!)
In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, eggs and oil until you have a smooth batter. If using chopped pecans, stir in by hand at this time.
Use a cookie scooper or spoon to create balls of dough (1-2 TB in size) and place on your prepared baking sheet, 2 inches apart from each other.
Bake for 8-10 minutes (you’ll want them to be a touch soft in the middle), then remove from oven and transfer to a wire cooling rack.
To make the icing:
Combine the butter, cocoa powder and whole milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk together until smooth.
Remove pan from heat and slowly whisk in the powdered sugar until incorporated completely.
Slide a cookie sheet under the wire rack where your cookies are resting (this will catch excess icing). Pour icing over your cookies slowly to coat them.
Allow icing to set before serving or storing.
Grab a free printable copy of our Texas Sheet Cake Cookies Recipe:
If you like this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
Texas Sheet Cake Cookies
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies Ingredients
- 1 box Milk Chocolate Cake Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Canola Oil
- 1/2 cup Chopped pecans optional
- 2 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 cup Unsalted Sweet Cream Butter
- 3 Tablespoon Whole Milk
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookie Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, eggs and oil until combined and smooth. If using pecans, stir into batter by hand.
- Scoop out dough balls and place them onto the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart from each other.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring cookies to a wire cooling rack.
- Using a medium saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa powder and whole milk over medium heat.
- Whisk together until combined and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the powdered sugar until smooth.
- Place a cookie sheet under the wire rack to catch excess chocolate.
- Scoop out a spoonful of icing and pour over the cookies.
- Allow the icing to harden before enjoying.
Pin this Texas Sheet Cake Cookies Recipe on Pinterest:
More of our favorite chocolate dessert recipes:
If you love these chocolate cake mix cookies, try more of our favorite chocolate lover desserts!