What’s inside: 52 creative and inexpensive date ideas (one for every week of the year!) Sponsored by Subway.
Sometimes it’s the simple moments that mean the most.
My husband and I went on a spontaneous lunch date this week. Our oldest daughter was at school and our youngest daughter was running errands with Grandma.
With a couple hours of free time (and rumbling tummies) we popped in to our local Subway to try out the Italian Hero, because it’s here for a limited time only!
I’m not exaggerating when I say that this sandwich is SO good!! Subway has teamed up with Food Network’s Jeff Mauro to “Build it Better” and I’d say this one is a win!
The Italian Hero is layered with three different cold cuts: Capicola (smoked, slow-roasted cured pork), Mortadella (seasoned and cured with traditional Italian spices, garlic & cracked pepper), and Genoa Salami (dry cured in the old world style with a hint of garlic and wine). This is definitely a meaty sandwich!
Next, the Italian Hero is topped with provolone cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and pickles. It’s finished with oil & vinegar and a sprinkle of Mediterranean oregano for the perfect mix of authentic Italian flavors.
Is your mouth watering yet??
My husband had such a good time — just hanging out, sharing a sandwich, and catching up (it’s amazing how we sometimes forget to actually talk throughout our busy days).
A simple, inexpensive lunch date — but it was one of the best dates we’ve had in a while!
It got me thinking, why not put together a list full of simple, inexpensive date ideas? There’s 52 activities here (one for every week of the year!) ranging from relaxing to silly to calorie-burning.
So grab your honey and have some fun (without breaking the bank!)
52 Inexpensive Date Ideas
There’s one for every week of the year! See full list below image.
- Share a footlong Italian Hero sandwich at Subway (seriously ya’ll — this is one awesome sandwich!)
- Go kite flying (Make your own kite with this DIY kite tutorial)
- Take a drive — Pop in some tunes and hit the road with your sweetie!
- Go for an evening stroll — There’s just something so romantic about holding hands and walking together as the sun sets!
- Take a hike — Hit the hills and get some awesome exercise.
- Enjoy a bicycle ride.
- Go roller skating — Our town has a local rink a couple blocks from our house and it’s hours of fun for only a few bucks each!
- Go fishing — Or pick up some inexpensive fish food and feed the fish instead!
- Practice yoga — There are tons of free videos online!
- Picnic — Remember that Italian Hero I was talking about? It’s perfect picnic food too!
- Visit a farmer’s market — Grab some fresh produce or just take in the sights.
- Brewery tour — Whether or not you choose to imbibe, it’s fun to see how things are made! Most tours are cheap or even free.
- Volunteer — Dedicate your date to a good cause!
- Find a free movie night — Shopping malls, local parks, museums, and more all offer movie nights and other fun events on the regular.
- Head to the“drive-in” movies without leaving your driveway — If you don’t own a projector, try this clever trick to turn your phone into one!
- Do your own carpool karaoke — Drive around and take turns picking songs for the other to sing. Optional: the passenger films the driver while they sing so you can watch and giggle together later.
- Find a free craft class at your local crafting store.
- Hold a cooking contest using the most random ingredients you can find in the fridge.
- Get out your favorite childhood board game and have a friendly competition.
- Celebrate one of these 105 unique holidays.
- Go stargazing — Enjoy a meteor shower if it’s the season, or try to find constellations.
- Play extreme frisbee — Some of my favorite dates are the ones where you burn calories together!
- Play on a playground — I’ll admit I still love to swing sometimes!
- Take in a free concert at a local gallery or coffee shop.
- Go garage sale hopping — Pick a weekend morning, plan a route, and start bargain hunting! Bonus points for the most off-the-wall find!
- Visit a flea market — These are never-ending sources of interesting sights!
- Trade massages — Make it even more special by setting up a room in the house like a spa with candles and relaxing music.
- Learn a language — This is a date you can do over and over again!
- Re-decorate (or re-arrange) a room in your house.
- Paint each other’s portraits — Round up whatever art supplies you have on hand, whether it’s the kids’ markers or ballpoint pens and draw portraits of each other at the same time.
- Sleep under the stars — If the weather’s nice, hit the backyard and pitch a tent!
- Play truth or dare — This can be as innocent or as “grown-up” as you like!
- Break out the photo albums — It sounds corny, but flipping through your wedding album or old kids photos is guaranteed to make you smile!
- Play birdwatching bingo — Look up some of the local bird species in your area and make bingo cards for each of you. First one to fill a line on their card wins!
- Learn about your town’s history — Visit the historical district in your city and you’re sure to make some interesting finds!
- Go thrifting — Hit a local thrift store and see who can find the funniest T-shirt hiding in the racks!
- Watch the sunset — It’s probably the most romantic activity in the world.
- Grow something — Plant a garden, either in your backyard or indoors (like a potted herbs for the kitchen).
- Re-watch an entire season of your favorite TV show.
- Watch planes take off at the airport.
- Visit the library — Check out a new book or learn something new at a free class (you’d be surprised what libraries have to offer!)
- Find a local festival — Our city has literally hundreds of festivals every year, many of them free. Yours likely has more than you’d think too!
- Challenge each other in a crossword contest — First to solve their puzzle gets bragging rights!
- Spend an evening in front of the fire — Get the fireplace roaring or build a bonfire in the backyard (safely of course!)
- Go fruit picking — Find a list of local farms that let you come pick produce here.
- Spend the day photographing interesting sights around your city.
- Scavenger hunt — Take turns creating one for each other and picking an exciting prize to put at the end of it.
- Play a photo guessing game — Take turns shooting extreme close-up shots of items around the house and guessing what they are.
- Watch the sun rise — Set your alarms (or stay up late…) and take in nature’s beauty.
- Have a video game showdown — Dust off your old consoles and bring out the classics!
- Learn a new card game — and then play!
- Play 20 questions — Grow even closer and find out things your never knew about your partner!
Try the Italian Hero Sandwich for a limited time
Head into Subway for the Italian Hero sandwich and start checking date ideas off the list! Hurry — the Italian Hero is back for a limited time only!
CLICK HERE to check out a video from Food Network’s Jeff Mauro and see exactly how Subway is building it better.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Subway. The opinions and text are all mine.
Want more FREE activities & resources?
Subscribe to our weekly Positive Family Newsletter with inspirational messages, free family-friendly activities, giveaways, special offers, and more! You'll also get a FREE daily goal planner as a thank you for subscribing!
Last updated on April 20th, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Have you ever thought about starting a blog of your own? Click here to find out more!
Follow the Soccer Mom Blog on Pinterest - Facebook- Twitter - Instagram