These adorable pom pom turkeys can be used as festive puppets or a sweet kid-made decoration for the Thanksgiving table.
Pom Pom Turkeys
My middle daughter AB is an avid crafter and is a pro with the glue gun. One of her favorite things to make are different types of pom pom animals and other types of pom pom craft ideas. She made an adorable pom pom turkey craft that I thought was so cute it needed to be on the blog! I asked her to create a prototype for me so we could show everyone else how to make them too.
If you’re looking for fun ideas for Thanksgiving crafting, these sweet little turkeys are just perfect for kids of all ages! It is a simple craft that is made using pom poms of different sizes, felt pieces, wiggle eyes, and popsicle sticks.
This easy turkey craft can be used as puppets for pretend play. Or, you can use them as a kid made decoration for Thanksgiving season. The popsicle stick makes it easy to place these turkeys in a fall centerpiece or flower arrangement. The kiddos will be thrilled to see their work on display!
Related: For more turkey arts and craft ideas, check out our collection of 20 Turkey Crafts for Kids!
For your convenience in re-creating our hand print turkey, I’ve included shop-able affiliate links; disclosure policy available here.
- 2-inch Brown Pom Poms
- 1/2 inch or 1 inch Red Pom Poms
- Small Yellow and Orange Pom Poms
- Brown, Red, and Orange Craft Felt
- Googly Eyes
- Craft Sticks or Popsicle Sticks
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks (The Cricut glue gun is my favorite! No dripping!)
- Trace and cut a fan shape out of brown felt for the turkey’s tail. We freehanded this – there is no “right” shape so don’t worry too much about that! You can see in the step-by-step photos below (as well as the video) that we cut our brown felt in a mushroom shape.
- Glue the brown large pom pom to the bottom of the piece of brown felt you just cut out. Glue smaller pom poms along the top of the piece of brown felt. We used orange and yellow like colorful tail feathers.
- Glue a medium sized red pom pom on top of the brown pom pom, for the turkey’s head. You want it to be a larger pom pom than the tail feather pom poms, but smaller than the brown pom pom. Cut out a small piece of red felt and glue it to the red pom pom, to be the turkey’s wattles. Cut out a small triangle of yellow or orange felt and glue that on top of the red wattle, to be the turkey’s beak. Glue to google eyes on top of the red pom pom.
- Glue a craft stick to the back of the turkey’s feather fan to finish your turkey puppet.
- Glue – We used a hot glue gun and glue sticks to make our pom pom turkeys. Because my daughter is experienced with the glue gun, I trust her to use it herself. However, younger kids may need a little help for this step OR you could use tack glue or craft glue instead.
- Variations – If you have craft foam at home, this can be used instead of felt, such as red foam for the wattles. You could even use thick construction paper or card stock in a pinch to make the tail feather fan, turkey’s beak, etc. You could also use small pom poms in place of the wiggly eyes, or you could use a larger size eye to make them more cartoon-like in appearance. Have fun with it!
- Legs – We attached our pom pom turkeys to a popsicle stick so they can be used as puppets or incorporated in to a centerpiece on the Thanksgiving dinner table. But you could skip the popsicle stick and make legs out of orange pipe cleaners so they turkeys could sit down on a flat surface.
More Easy Thanksgiving Crafts
- Construction Paper Turkey Craft
- Pumpkin Mason Jars
- Pop-Up Photo Pumpkin Card
- Mix-N-Match Pumpkin Faces Craft
- Quilled Paper Pumpkin Craft
- Falling Leaves Snow Globe
- Flower Pot Acorn Craft
Pom Pom Turkey Craft Directions (Printable Version)
If you tried this craft and liked it, please rate it!
Pom Pom Turkey Craft
- Craft Glue or Hot Glue Gun
- 1 2-inch brown pom pom
- 1 1/2 inch or 1-inch red pom pom
- 5-6 Small yellow and orange pom poms
- Craft felt brown, red, yellow
- 2 Googly eyes
- 1 Craft stick or popsicle stick
- Trace and cut a fan shape out of brown felt for the turkey's tail.
- Glue the large brown pom pom to the bottom of the piece of brown felt you just cut out.
- Glue a medium sized red pom pom on top of the brown pom pom, for the turkey's head.
- Glue smaller pom poms along the top of the piece of brown felt to be the tail feathers.
- Glue to google eyes on top of the red pom pom.
- Cut out a small piece of red felt and glue it to the red pom pom, to be the turkey's wattles.
- Cut out a small triangle of yellow or orange felt and glue that on top of the red wattle, to be the turkey's beak.
- Glue a craft stick to the back of the turkey's feather fan to finish your turkey puppet.
Pin our Easy Turkey Craft on Pinterest:
You might also like: