These magical chocolate Halloween Cookies are filled with a delicious green “witches brew” frosting!! An awesome Halloween recipe inspired by one of our favorite spooky movies: Hocus Pocus!
“Hocus Pocus” Halloween Cookies
I was flipping through the channels a couple weeks ago when I noticed that Hocus Pocus was on. You know those movies that when you find them on TV you can’t change the channel? Even if you’ve seen it 1000 times? Even if you own the DVD and could watch it without commercials? Well this is one of those movies!
I couldn’t believe the coincidence when a few days later, one of my recipe contributors said she was making Hocus Pocus cookies! And then when I saw the Hocus Pocus inspired Halloween cookies I was even more excited…y’all they are AWESOME!!
These are one of our favorite new cookies to make for Halloween! They’re super festive, in bright Halloween inspired colors.
Our Halloween sugar cookies are amped up with cocoa for chocolate flavor and filled with M&Ms – more chocolate is always a good thing, am I right?? Plus there is an sweet surprise inside these crazy cool Halloween cookies – witches brew ooze!!
Halloween Cookies Ingredients
This is a quick list of shop-able ad links (whenever possible) to help you find the products used to make our Hocus Pocus Cookies. (Disclosure policy here)
- 1 cup sweet cream unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 container of white frosting
- 3-5 drops of neon green gel food coloring
- M&M Candies – green, orange, and purple
Kitchen Supplies Used
- Non-slip mixing bowls
- Electric mixer
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mat
- Flavor injector (this is often used to inject marinade into meat, but we used it to inject frosting into cookies…genius, right?!)
Halloween Cookies (filled with Witches Brew Frosting)
Note: A full printable copy of our Halloween cookie recipe is available at the bottom of the post, below photo step-by-step directions.
How to Make Halloween Cookies:
Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mat.
Separate green, orange, and purple M&M’s into a small bowl and set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
In a different mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to cream the butter and both types of sugar together until fluffy.
Add in the eggs and vanilla and continue mixing.
Slowly begin to add the dry ingredients into wet ingredients until well combined. Stir in about half of your M&Ms into the dough.
Use your hands or a medium cookie scoop to form dough into balls. Press the remaining M&Ms into the tops of your cookies.
Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes. Remove Halloween cookies of the oven and allow to cool slightly on the cookie sheet. Then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
To add the frosting:
Scoop the frosting into a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 10-15 seconds to soften. Stir in a few drops of green food coloring, until you have a smooth bright green frosting.
Now the fun part! Grab your Flavor injector and place the needle into the bowl of frosting. Pull the knob up on the injector to suck up frosting.
In case you’re wondering, here’s what a flavor injector looks like:
It’s often used to inject marinade into meat, but we used it to inject frosting into cookies! Yea!!
Poke the side of one of the cookies and inject frosting into the cookie – just until the top of the cookie cracks and you can see frosting peeking through.
Repeat until all cookies are full of our green “witches brew” frosting.
More Halloween Party Treat Ideas
- Jack Skellington Pull-Apart Cupcakes
- Spooky Slime Cookies
- Peanut Butter Candy Corn Treats
- Creamsicle Flavored Mini Halloween Cupcakes
- Spiderweb Cookies
- Frankenstein Halloween Cake Pops
- Halloween Graveyard Cake
Grab a free printable copy of our Halloween Cookie Recipe:
If you like this recipe, please rate it! We’d also love to hear your thoughts in the comments below.
"Hocus Pocus" Halloween Cookies - Filled w/ Green Witches Brew Frosting
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 small bowl
- electric mixer and mixing bowl
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
- 1 flavor injector
- 1 Cup Sweet Cream Unsalted Butter
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs large
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 1/4 Cup Flour
- 2/3 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 16 oz White Frosting 16 oz is typically one container
- 5 drops Neon Green Gel Food Coloring
- M&M Candies orange, green, and purple
To Make the Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or non-stick silicone baking mat.
- Separate green, orange, and purple M&M’s into a small bowl.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, use electric mixer to cream the butter and both sugars together.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla, continue mixing.
- Slowly pour dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients, mixing as you go until well combined.
- Add about half of your M&M’s to the dough, stirring into batter.
- Form dough into balls, about 2" in size.
- Press the rest of your M&M’s into each round cookie dough ball.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly on the cookie sheet. Then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling.
To Make the Frosting
- Scoop the frosting into a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 15 seconds to soften.
- Stir in a few drops of green gel food coloring until frosting is bright green.
- Place the needle of the flavor injector into the bowl of frosting and pull the knob up on the injector to fill it with frosting.
- Poke the side of a cookie and inject frosting into the cookie, just until the top of the cookie cracks.
- Repeat until all cookies are filled with frosting.
Pin our Hocus Pocus Cookies on Pinterest: